Friday, July 13, 2012

Someone is watching over me

          Today has been quite the day. I say that everyday, but today, it's really true.

    My dad got home with the mail this afternoon and I got 2 letters! Well one was a bank statement, so it wasn't that exciting...but the other was. Why? Well there are two reasons.

         First: I've been waiting for this letter since May! I figured since it never came, I wasn't ever going to arrive. But it did, and I couldn't be more excited.
        And second, well you won't understand the second reason until I tell you what it is and some background info.
   I am the recipient of a scholarship from the 35th Infantry "Cacti" Regiment  Association.
       You're probably thinking, okay cool. You won your first scholarship, congrats! But you don't understand, it means so much more than that to me.

This is my Grandfather, Roger Alan Fulkerson.


         He's the reason I was able to apply and be awarded this scholarship.

      He was killed in action during battle in Vietnam. His actions saved the lives of many other men the day he was killed.

        People say I look like him. However, I don't see the resemblance. I just want to be like him. I never got the chance to meet him but I have the knowledge that he was a pretty wonderful man. I only hope that I can turn out to be as wonderful and courageous as him.

      I know that he is watching over me, watching all that I do and I hope I am making him proud. (It'll be nice to actually meet him someday so I can actually confirm it!)

    So two: I was awarded a scholarship by the regiment in which my grandfather was a part of. I'm very honored and excited I was given this money to help pay for me to achieve my dreams. 

   I'm so blessed. This summer just keeps getting better and better. I can't stop smiling.