Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Letter to 2013

Hello there, 2013!

Pleased to meet you. Many people are very surprised you came around. They all thought that you weren't going to happen but you made them look like fools December 22nd, 2012. I think you were going to come no matter what! I believe the reason is because you are going to be a very big year for a lot of people. And I like to think that I will especially benefit from this year.

I mean it'll be the second semester of my Freshman year, and the first semester of my Sophomore. I'll still be taking generals for the most part but I'll be figuring out what I'm going to major in, and hopefully sticking with it. Picking my major will impact the rest of my life. So yeah, that's sort of a big deal.


Plus, I will need  to get a job on campus, and one for the summer. My first apartment with goodness knows what roommates. Looks as though I'll be playing the lottery again! (Let's hope I get some good ones again) I'm turning 19. And gosh, there are a ton of other big things that are going to happen this year but I don't know what they all will be yet. I can just feel it! 

So I looked up what a "New Year's Resolution" really is and the definition according to Wikipedia is: 

commitment that a person makes to one or more personal goals, projects, or the reforming of a habit. A key element to a New Year's resolution that sets it apart from other resolutions is that it is made in anticipation of the New Year and new beginnings. 

2013, I don't know about you but I hardly hear about anyone who keeps these "resolutions" that they make up. Most of the time they are like "be more active," or "lose weight." "Be happy." "Live life to the fullest." And you can't forget the "I'm going to quit [insert addictive substance or act]." It's all the same. Hardly, ever do you get original ones. (It does happen though)

I'm not saying people haven't completed their goals. I know that some people actually have the determination to get what they set their mind to actually done. Kudos to them. But personally, I have not found making such goals or commitments for the New Year any good for me. And well, I've got another idea.

So 2013, you aren't getting any resolutions out of this girl. I really have no goals except to be happy. But who doesn't want to be happy? That's just a general goal. I mean, I like to smile too much. Being unhappy isn't an option. Instead, I've got another proposition for you. 

I want to see where you, the New Year, take me. I'm up for new adventures, obstacles and challenges. Whatever. Give me all you've got. Now, I'm not going to go searching for these things. I'm not going to do anything differently. I'm just going to live my life as normal, like every other year, and roll with it.

What's the catch you ask? Well I'm going to blog and journal like normal, and at the end of the year, read all my entries. I want to see how much I've changed or progressed (or see the lack of both of those things) over the year. Then I'll figure out the "best" and "worst" of 2013, make a list of big accomplishments, things I'm grateful for, and of course a "What I've learned" list. 

Well 2013, I hope we have an understanding. This isn't a goal or commitment to enact a change in myself. I'm not planning on changing, but change and progress is an inevitable part of life. It's going to happen. And this hardly counts as a project. I'm just extremely curious to see what you have to offer and I want to document and evaluate it all in the end to see where I'm at in my life because of all that you threw at me. I want to sit down on December 31st, look back on all my new memories and say "What a year." 

I'm sure you are going to be full of surprises, just like every other new year. Just know that I am looking forward to all the wonderful memories that I will make, good and bad (Mostly, the good though.) And in case I forget to tell you later, thank you for all those memories. Especially the ones that are going to make smile, laugh and love my life throughout the next 12 months.

Yours Truly,
Jensen Leigh Krause