Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Not So Little Brother

Oh Siblings? Those individuals related to you. They make you laugh, cry, drive you insane. They even break your pinky fingers from time to time. Or maybe that's just mine?

This is my younger brother, Colton, at a whopping 6'3 which I'm sure has changed since June. He is my complete opposite. Besides the fact that we have the same genes, we're both into sports and injuring ourselves in the process of playing them. We're different people.

He's the Redneck. I'm the All American girl. He can fix your car. I can fix your computer. He'll build a potato cannon from scratch. I'll make chicken noodle soup from scratch. I was in Student Government. He participated in FFA. I'll tutor your kids in any subject. He'll coach them on their Pee-Wee football team. He's got his music with plenty of bass. I've got my indie playlist. He just bought a huge truck. I want a Prius (even though my parents threaten to disown me).

We never got along growing up. Of course there were moments, but they were few and far between. Clashing personalities and interests made it difficult to want to be friends. I mean I was the annoying Older Sister, and he was the obnoxious Little Brother. We may have gone to the same school but that didn't mean we acknowledged each other more than to irritate the other. Especially when he liked my friends more than me, and vice versa.

To say we didn't like each other was sort of an understatement. Forced family photos. "Hug your brother." "STOP FIGHTING" "Leave your sister alone." Phrases often used in the Krause household. But as we're gotten older, and especially since I've moved out to Utah, we've gotten closer. Weird how distance does that. And now as I reflect, I guess we do have some more things in common.

We love watching and playing football; he's better at playing, and I at cheering. I did kill it in Powder Puff and he's done a few cheer routines for Homecoming. We have distant music tastes, but will bond over our love for country. We love going on vacation, especially to the cabin in Lake Tahoe. We bond over food: Dutch Bros, Teriyaki, Taco Trucks. We have the same SnapChat faces. We both agree that Marley is the best dog in the world. Best of all, we both think that our parents are crazy.

I guess he's pretty cool. He does stuff like strike poses in our formal family photos. (See Above) He's got a pretty cool new truck, even though it's a complete beater and I don't think I'll be able to climb into it because it's so tall. He tells me about the guys that I should be dating (You should be picky, you'll find the right guy) and I'm always there for advice (Gift ideas especially).

Sure, we fought a lot growing up. I backed over him while driving a toy car (Sowwy Bubba!) and he BROKE MY PINKY.(Noooo, I'm not bitter about my even more, severely crooked pinky) But now, we are decently civil. I mean I still embarrass him, and he still drives me crazy but we had a decent conversation over text last night. And it lasted liked two hours. NO LIE.

Moral of the Story: I'm writing this blog because last night made me realize that, I'm not just homesick for CA, and wishing I had reached out to my family more during my rough summer...Buuuuut. Are you ready for it? I miss my brother. He drives me nuts. We will probably fight more than talk the whole time I'm home for Thanksgiving, but I miss him.

There I said it. Now go ahead and tease me. I know the comments on FB are going to be entertaining. But I felt like it was a neccessary thought to share on my blog. 70 days til I'm home. And I cannot wait. Dutch Bros. on me once I get home, Bubba. Now be safe at your crazy job, and don't make too many stupid decisions in that gigantic truck of yours.

You're Not So Big Sister,
Jensen Leigh

P.S. You're probably not going to read this, but hey. Now you can't claim I never say anything nice about you.